Second Career is a government-funded retraining program that helps laid off, unemployed or underemployed individuals with skills training to help them find employment in occupations that are in demand in Ontario. Second Career funding may cover the costs of tuition, books, living expenses and other costs associated with the training up to a maximum of $28,000.
Several factors are considered when identifying who will receive funding. We will help applicants based on:
- Active job search
- Length of unemployment
- Education background
- Type of work you are currently trained for
- Labour market prospects
- Type of training you are interested in
- Experience and occupational skills
- Laid off on or after January 1, 2005
- Unemployed or working an interim job
- Resident of Ontario
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident legally authorized to work in Canada
- Interested in retraining for an occupation that is in demand in Ontario
- Up to two years in length
- Academic upgrading or language training, if part of a specific skills training program
- College-level training
- Full-time or part-time (additional criteria apply if part-time)
- Some restrictions apply
To learn more, please visit http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/secondcareer/whatitis.html or contact us.
If you would like to register for this program you can also visit Employment Ontario Self Service.